06 Apr 5 Tips To Find Your Signature Style
A big squeezy hug and a warm welcome to our first blog post we hope you enjoy our colour filled life. I used to blog daily many years ago and gave it away but recently have been feeling the pull to connect with our followers and clients more and to share knowledge and stories in a positive community. So here I am back at the blog and really excited for this new adventure. We will take you behind the scenes at Keren Brown Interiors, share loads of interior design insights as well as tips and tricks and highlight all the things we love and are inspired by. Sit back with a coffee or a wine and enjoy, it’s wonderful to share this journey with you and I look forward to getting to know you!
Everyone has their own style whether it’s a signature fragrance, a colour you wear often, from bold statement earrings, high heels or ballet flats. It’s yours, it’s who you are it’s what makes you, you!
Your home should be no different, a reflection of who you are, where you’ve been, what you love and what makes you tick.
My signature style is timeless and classic with a twist, it’s never cookie cutter and it’s always individual. It’s effortless, collected and what I consider relaxed luxury. I mix old with new and I love to throw in something unexpected and a little quirky particularly if it has a sentimental story behind it, whether you found it in your far flung travels or it’s a beautiful antique passed down to you from a loved one, every piece tells a story. It’s also quite amazing what you can find lurking in your own cupboards that can be dragged out and given new life. DESIGN TIP // shop your own home first.
My love of colour, print, patterns and texture runs deep and fabric is my drug of choice.
One of the first things I tell my client’s is ‘It’s all about the fabric’. And so it is. The entire design process revolves around the fabric from concept to completion. There are literally hundreds of thousands of exquisite designer fabrics to choose from and hiring a designer is the best way to access these resources and ensure that the selections are beautifully connected and tell a magical story.
For me it’s about the basecloth and the texture, the fabric weight, the hand screenprinting process and the design scale, the luxurious feel, the custom colours and the pattern clash and even the smell. I literally could wrap myself in them. For me, fabric is everything.
One of my favourite elements in the design process is sourcing, selecting and playing with fabrics for everything from cushions to lampshades and from sofas to window coverings. Coming up with beautiful and individual combinations for clients and seeing their faces when the completed project is revealed ultimately makes me realize why I love my job.
5 Tips To Find Your Own ‘Signature Style’
- SHOP YOUR WARDROBE: Head to your wardrobe and take inspiration from what you wear daily. What colours are mostly featured? Is Coco Chanel your fashion muse? Are you drawn to calming neutrals and white? Does your heart sing when you wear bright colours? or Is Byron Bay bohemian gypset your spirit animal?
- PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM: Save images from Pinterest and Instagram, you will find a common thread will start to emerge eg. coastal blues, elegant luxury or modern farmhouse.
- MAGAZINES: Keep magazine tear sheets, determine what you like and what you don’t like about each image. Store them in a folder with dividers for each room. You should begin to see a theme flow through.
- CREATE A MOOD BOARD: Design your own room mood board using tear sheets, fabric and trim swatches, paint samples, wallpaper cuttings, tile options, add natural elements like wood, foliage, fruit, shells and metals. NOTE// We will show you how to create your perfect mood board in an upcoming blog post so stay tuned!
- WORK WITH WHAT YOU LOVE: Are there pieces already in your home that you absolutely love and tell a story of your life? Work with these as your starting point and build the room around them. I always feel it’s important to maximise those treasures and showcase them rather than discard old pieces – these are the threads of your life, keep them!
Of course these tips are are just the starting point, don’t feel compelled to follow what everyone else is doing or select what is considered ‘on trend’, I stay away from trends, your style is constantly evolving so just run with it and do what resonates with you. Most importantly have fun!
Make life beautiful.
SUBSCRIBE HERE for our weekly newsletter.